Saturday 17 September 2011

The philosophical clown

Charliechaplinandgandhi

The late Charlie Chaplin (1889 - 1977) is widely recognised as a great actor and director. He was also very philosophical and compassionate, as these quotes from the man testify.

Wars, conflict, it's all business. "One murder makes a villain. Millions a hero". Numbers sanctify. (paraphrased from Bishop Beilby Porteus)
I am for people. I can't help it.
I remain just one thing, and one thing only — and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician.
My prodigious sin was, and still is, being a non-conformist.
I am what I am: an individual, unique and different.
I hope we shall abolish war and settle all differences at the conference table.
I am an individual and a believer in liberty.

And finally, here is the closing speech from his 1940 film The Great Dictator. This is as relevant now as it as was when it was first made.I urge you to watch it. It is less than four minutes, but is stirring in it's compassionate and inspiring message.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment