Friday 26 March 2010

Just do it!


I was talking to a friend and work colleague recently about cycling to work. We had already ridden to work together earlier that week- after much procrastination and more excuses than you could shake a stick from him! I'm sure he won't mind me saying any of this, as it was his suggestion for me to write this blog about the subject!

On the day in question, it was a lovely and bright sunny morning, and so there was no reason NOT to cycle into work. When I asked him when he would be cycling in to work again, and why he had not ridden in that morning, he was all set to give me his reasons, or more precisely, his excuses! I explained that my own simple philosophy on such matters is this – just do it!

When I find myself deliberating over whether to do something or not, I find it is far better to just get on and do it. If the task in question looks difficult, or takes me out of my comfort zone, then these are just not valid reasons for not doing something. I would much rather try and fail, than not try at all. How many times have we all kicked ourselves for not giving something a try, and regretted the decision later on.

As I have said in a previous article, failure is not when you do not complete the task. Failure is when you do not complete the task, and then learn nothing from the experience. As long as you learn something from the experience, then it has been a positive one.

Sometimes we all need to do something that takes us outside of our normal comfort zones. To feel that nervous energy that comes from the heady mixture of excitement and nervousness. When faced with the opportunity to do something that you are not totally comfortable with, to go outside your comfort zone, you should always accept the challenge. No matter what happens, you will have learnt something that you didn’t know before the experience. And you never know, you may even enjoy it!

There is no shame in attempting something and failing. I am sure that every mountaineer who ever contemplated climbing Everest was nervous. I am sure that every astronaut who was pulled away from the safety of their planet felt nervous. There is never any guarantee of success in life.

But that is never a reason to stop trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment