Thursday 1 April 2010

Letting the adventurer out


I came across this quote recently when looking through Mark Beaumont's web site. If you have not heard of him, he set the world's fastest circumnavigation by bicycle last year, and appeared on certain mobile phone adverts thereafter.

"I believe there is some kind of adventurer in all of us. My dream is to share expeditions that push the boundaries of physical mental capability with the world. Questioning what is possible is the key to success in every walk of life" - Mark Beaumont - adventurer and cyclist.

I think this is a great quote, and epitomises the shared wanderlust that many of us have. I say many, as I have met many people who have no desire to step foot outside their own street, never mind another country.

On a much smaller level, one of the reasons I love long distance cycling is the sense of discovery, of poring over a map the day before, and looking for new places to visit on my bike. Cycling through a quaint little village in the middle of nowhere is the only reward I need.

The quote also emphasises the need to push yourself. I have made the point before about stepping outside your comfort zone, and indeed I think there is a strong analogy to be made between stepping out from your street and having an adventure, and stepping out from your comfort zone and pushing yourself. In both cases you are doing something new that may result in failure, but from which you will gain knowledge and experience.

How do you really know what you are capable of if you have never pushed yourself? You may just amaze yourself if you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment